Communication is any method by which information is transferred from one place to another. It can be oral or written. Effective communication is conveying of the same information clearly and without any distortion which is very important during interviews. In other words one is conveying his or her thoughts and ideas to the receiver in a clear and crisp manner.
Types of Communication Skills Important for Job Interviews:
Communication Skills is generally required are :-
- Verbal and non-verbal.
- Technological and non-technological.
- Mediated and non-mediated.
- Participatory and non-participatory.
Mass Communication This project also covers the subject of mass communication. It seeks to explain the methods of mass communication with examples.
Visual Communication This project also explains various facets of visual communication. In this way of communication the information is transmitted in visual form.
There are various forms of communication skills. These have been explained in greater detail in the project using appropriate examples where ever required.Some of them are as enlisted in following paragraphs:-
Listening Skills This project also covers about listening skills and emphasizes on possessing good listening skills to better our relationships. Various levels of Listening techniques to include Half Listening, Sound Listening and Active listening have been elaborated in this project. Certain important steps with Do’s and Dont’s have been explained in order to be a good listener.
Public Speaking. The project mentions about the importance of public speaking and preparing for the same. Following issues have been adequately highlighted in the project :-
Importance of simplicity.
- Need of being thoroughly prepared.
- Finally, honing skills for better delivery.
Fear of Public Speaking. This aspect has also been adequately covered in the project. The following have been discussed in lucid manner:-
Glass phobia or Speech Anxiety. It is the single most common fear affecting almost 75% of population.
- Symptoms of Glass Phobia. Various symptoms of speech anxiety have been discussed. These have been categorized as Physical, Verbal and Non- verbal.
- Causes of Glass Phobia. The project covers various causes of this anxiety which are primarily self-defeating thoughts and anxiety-provoking situations.
- Help and Relief. Lastly, Effective strategies to overcome this menace have been explained and various methods to improve public speaking have been elaborated. Aspect of structured training in this field has also been mentioned in this project.
Reading. Various aspects of efficient reading have been discussed and following issues have also been explained in detail.
- Styles of reading
- Active reading
- Tips for improving active reading.
- Spotting author’s navigation aids.
- Words and vocabulary.
- Types of reading.
- Nuggets of reading skills.
Writing. The project mentions about importance of effective writing skills too.‘importance of style’ and ‘exercising of caution’ in any form of writing have been effectively dealt with. Letter writing principles and importance of proofing have been highlighted.
Effective Interview Skills. Importance of interview and its various types have been given as a introduction. Thereafter ‘Hiring/Entrance Interview’ type being the best known and the most widely experienced type of interview has been covered. Preparation to be done before interview and on the day of interview have been discussed in the project. Traditional interview questions and reasons for not getting job have also been mentioned in the project.